Join Wisconsin School Counselors to celebrate
National School Counseling Week in your school.
We encourage you to do something special each day (see below).
Celebrate your efforts by taking photographs and submitting them to WSCA Social Media.
Post your photos by February 10th to be entered in a special prize drawing.
2018 National School Counseling WeekTM, “School Counselors: Helping Students Reach for the Stars,” will be celebrated from Feb. 5-9, 2018, to focus public attention on the unique contribution of school counselors within U.S. school systems. National School Counseling Week, sponsored by ASCA, highlights the tremendous impact school counselors can have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career. National School Counseling Week is always celebrated the first full week in February.
Take part in the photo/video challenge during National School Counseling Week with these signs:
Monday: Happy National School Counseling Week – download the NSCW sign and take your picture with it.
Post to WSCA Social Media for a chance to win a prize!
Tuesday: Put the School in School Counselor – wear your School
Counselor shirt or download this sign and take your picture with it and share on WSCA Social Media.
Wednesday: Passion – Download “I ♥ being a school counselor because” sign – complete the sentence and hang it up and share on WSCA social media.
Thursday: Appreciation – Share how you showed appreciation to your staff or how staff or students expressed their appreciation of YOU!
Friday: Reach Higher – Download this Reach Higher sign – put on your college gear, encourage other staff and students to wear college gear as well. Consider printing out this sign and adding the name(s) (& logos) of the institutions where you have earned your degree(s) and certification(s) and then hang outside your office (see example below). This is a great way to show our stakeholders the preparation and hard work required to be a school counselor.
To help you promote the week, ASCA has developed many materials and documents, a number of which are free. Order your materials by Jan. 19, 2018, to ensure they arrive in time for National School Counseling Week. Order materials online by clicking on the links below for the items you wish to order or call (800) 401-2404 to order via phone.
• Proclamation – Get your governor, superintendent, mayor or other dignitary to sign a proclamation declaring Feb. 5–9, 2018, as National School Counseling Week. Download a blank proclamation for free.
• Certificate of Appreciation – Show your appreciation to those faculty members, parents and other stakeholders who help you promote your school counseling program throughout the year. Download a blank certificate of appreciation for free.
• Sample press release – Download a sample press release to customize with information about what your school or district is doing to celebrate National School Counseling Week.
• Sample morning announcements – Get your school excited about each day of National School Counseling Week with by promoting the week during morning announcements. View 2018 sample morning announcements or archived morning announcements from previous years.
• Posters – Promote National School Counseling Week throughout your school with a brightly colored poster. Posters do not have a date on them and can be used year after year. Posters are available on regular poster paper, delivered folded ($3 for members/$5 for nonmembers). Or, for sturdier posters that will hold up for many years, ASCA also offers the poster in a laminated format, rolled and delivered in a tube ($6 for members/$8 for nonmembers). Order laminated posters or regular posters.
• Pencils – Hand out pencils promoting school counseling to your students so they’ll have a daily reminder of where to turn when they need help. Pencils may be purchased in packs of 20 ($8 for members/$10 for nonmembers). Pencils are currently available in navy. Order pencils.
• Stickers – Kids love stickers. Let them proudly display their support of your program with “I heart my school counselor” or “My School Counselor Helps Me Succeed” stickers. Stickers are also available in Spanish: “Amo a Mi Counsejero Escolar” and “Mi Counsejero Escola Me Ayuda a Tener Éxito.” Stickers come 12 to a sheet ($1 per sheet for members, $3 for nonmembers).
• Door hanger – Promote privacy when you’re in a counseling session or let students know when you’re available with this reversible door hanger ($3 for members/$5 for nonmembers). One side says “Counseling in Progress. Please Do Not Disturb.” The reverse side says “Please Come In.” Order doorhanger.
* Bookmarks – Make sure your students know where to turn when they need help. Hand out inexpensive “School Counselors: Providing Lessons for Life” bookmarks (100 per set, $15 for members/$18 for nonmembers). Order bookmarks.