Thank you all for a wonderful NSCW 2020!
DPI News Room:
“SCHOOL COUNSELORS: HELPING BUILD BETTER HUMANS”
National School Counselor Week will be celebrated from Feb. 3-7, 2020, to focus public attention on the unique contribution of school counselors within U.S. school systems. National School Counseling Week, sponsored by ASCA, highlights the tremendous impact school counselors can have in helping students achieve school success and plan for a career. National School Counseling Week is always celebrated the first full week in February.
We use this week to focus public attention on the unique contribution of school counselors in our schools. This week highlights the impact that school counselors have in fostering every student’s academic and career plan and the difference counseling programs make in a student’s social and emotional development.
To help you promote the week, WSCA and ASCA have developed many materials and documents.
2020 National School Counseling Week Photo Challenge
WSCA challenges you to share your photos with us for a chance to win a $20 gift card!
Take a photo/video of the day’s theme and share on Twitter, Facebook and/or Instagram with #NSCW2020 and #WSCAConnections. Get students, families and school colleagues in on the fun. Encourage them to download and use the supporter signs listed below.
Monday: Happy National School Counseling Week
Take a picture/video with the new National School Counseling Week sign
Tuesday: Lend a Helping Hand
School counselors: Take a photo with the sign – “I’m helping build better humans by…”
Wednesday: Offer Encouragement
School Counselors: Download the “My students help me be a better human by…” sign
Supporters: Download the “My school counselor helps me be better by…” sign
Thursday: Show Appreciation
Friday: Be the Change in the World
All: Download the “Better humans are…” sign
10 Ways to Promote National School Counseling Week at your School
- Host an “open house” in your office (or the staff lounge) with treats for staff, students and parents to come and learn more about the services that you provide for your students.
- Create a bulletin board highlighting the programming that you offer at your school.
- Place a small treat in your teacher’s mailboxes with a data report highlighting a component of your counseling program of share this What Does a School Counselor Do handout by Counselor Keri or this School Counselors: The Key to Student Success graphic by NYU, or even this What Does a School Counselor Do graphic by ASCA
- Ask for a few moments to speak to your school board, staff or PTO about your counseling program. Use the WSCA Role of the School Counselor slides to get you started.
- Present the ASCA Certificates of Appreciation to key staff and community members who support your counseling program.
- Read daily announcements (use ASCA’s or create your own) about National School Counseling Week on the morning announcements.
- Encourage your school newspaper or news program to interview you during National School Counseling Week.
- Share this article from Edutopia (or another relevant article) with your administrator, along with a thank you note for supporting your work. ASCA has many great resources highlighting The Role of the School Counselor.
- Create a career video highlighting the fabulous career of the School Counselor.
- Sport your Guidance School Counselor t-shirt all week! And share information about why your title matters. Use this graphic organizer to help explain.
ASCA Materials: Proclamation, Sample Press Release, Certificate of Appreciation, Sample Morning Announcements, Posters, Pencils, Stickers, Door Hanger, Bookmarks, National School Counselor Week Signs